Appropriate goal setting will drive challenge and performance … don’t push the limits though !
Fair goals and appropriate challenge drive performance !
To make sure your goals are meaningful and reachable, make them SMART … in other words, each goal or target should be:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
- Achievable (agreed, attainable).
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
- Time bound (time-based, time limited, time-sensitive).
Many companies push challenges too far, digging way too much into those “crucial” details, but what happens at the end ?
Excessive challenge demotivates your workforce and consumes too much of your key talents skills and energy.
Think about this … what is really important to your customer ?